Monday, March 12, 2012

Southern Cross February 25, 2012


With the Winter training coming to an end, and the Spring excitement of a new race season around the corner, sometimes you just gotta get out and RACE!! Me (& Tim), Paula & Star drove down to Dahlonega, GA for a 50 mile endurance cross race called Southern Cross.  You can use a cyclocross bike or mountain bike, but they say the course favors cross bikes since it is mostly gravel roads with some spectator-friendly cyclocross goodies thrown in. I had the hardest time deciding what bike to ride for this event.  I got my cyclocross bike last Fall, haven't raced on it, but I've taken it on some recovery rides up Lookout Mtn. via the Guild Trail. On the other hand, I am bonded to my Trek Superfly 100 Pro.  That is the bike I will be riding for the rest of the year, on all my 100 mile races & I am comfortable on that bike.  So, I raced the first endurance cross race of the year on my knobby-tire-full-suspension-cadi. I flew past many on the gravel road descents & was thankful for those fat tires everytime I spotted someone changing a flat (I saw about 20).  All those I did pass seemed to pass me on the last 7 miles of paved road, I was cursing those tires then, as it felt like someone was holding onto my bike jersey while telling me to pedal fast. Oh well.

 I did give it my all, left nothing out on the course, and had fun in the process. I was 13th out of 28 open women with a time of 4:25.

No comments:

Post a Comment